Congratulations, for whatever reason you’ve decided to make a major change. Whether for medicinal purposes, dietary restrictions or just because you wanna drop a few Lbs, you’ve made a good choice.
I have been off and on low carb diets for the past three years. The reason for the yo-yoing is simple, mama loves her beer and bread. I am from Minnesota after all!
Regardless, I can honestly say dropping carbs, starches and sugars from my diet has definitely cleared my head, given me more energy and decreased my snacking habits.
My fiance and I are dedicated followers of the Ketogenic Diet, which he discovered on Reddit.
The Keto diet is this:
” is a high-fat, adequate-protein, low-carbohydrate diet that in medicine is used primarily to treat difficult-to-control (refractory) epilepsy in children. The diet forces the body to burn fats rather than carbohydrates. Normally, the carbohydrates contained in food are converted into glucose, which is then transported around the body and is particularly important in fuelling brain function. However, if there is very little carbohydrate in the diet, the liverconverts fat into fatty acids and ketone bodies. The ketone bodies pass into the brain and replace glucose as an energy source. An elevated level of ketone bodies in the blood, a state known as ketosis, leads to a reduction in the frequency of epileptic seizures.” (Wikipedia)
The Keto sub-reddit has made all the difference in helping us figure out what in the heck to buy, what we’re suppose to be doing and how it was going to effect us.
Here are four major tips I would like to offer someone who is just starting out or even a veteran low-carber:
- Keto flu sucks, but it does go away: I am a chronic suffered of Keto flu which is simply your bodies response to adjusting to basically a different fuel source. In modern society we tend to cherish simple carbs because they are easy and cheap. The fact is that we are built to function on complex carbs and protein.
- People are going to question your sanity and Cholesterol: I have had everyone from my
mom, to my nurse friends to the local bartender question the validity of eating 60% fat would surely send me into a spiral to cardiac arrest. However there was a study completed in Sweden that proves them all wrong. (feel free to throw this in there faces) Sweden Study
- Bulletproof- Coffee will save your life!: OK, I’m going to tell you about this and you’ll think I’m disgusting. Sometimes in the mornings you’ll be exhausted, usually because you didn’t hit your ratios the day before (please refer to the keto sub-reddit to figure out what I mean). This GLORIOUS concoction give you the upper hand to beat those keto blues away in the AM. Our recipe consists of the following: (we own a single cup maker so this is per cup)
- 3-4 Tbsp of Unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 Tbsp of the coffee (grounded obviously) of your choice
- 2-3 Tbsp of Coconut oil
- 1 tsp of Splenda (sometimes we substitute stevia extract)
- Now your brew the coffee, put in the butter and coconut oil, when it is melted, add the sweetener and some heavy cream to your liking. Then let the frothing begin!! We use a kitchen aid immersion blender but those small milk frothers or even a dedicated fork stirrer will do just fine. (There are some modified recipes here : bulletproofexec.com)
- You WILL plateau, or cheat: It is not the end of the world if you do. Just try to keep going or get back on track as soon as you can. Make the effort to keep things like in the house that are diet friendly, it makes it easier to stay on track!